Paul and Howard have a special guest, the amazing Dr. Inigo San Milan from the School of Medicine at the University of Colorado, one of the top researchers in the world on this topic. We talk about all aspects of mitochondrial health, from what that means, to what we can do about it, to how mitochondrial health differs between us and top athletes. There is a Fairly Crap Transcript™ here.
- What are mitochondria and what do they do
- Mitochondrial health for longevity and for performance
- How top athletes differ from you and me in terms of mitochondrial health
- The merits of Zone 2 training
- Dr. San Milan’s role as a fitness coach for 2020 Tour de France winner Tadej Pogačar
- Metabolomics of Endurance Capacity in World Tour Professional Cyclists
- Assessment of Metabolic Flexibility by Means of Measuring Blood Lactate, Fat, and Carbohydrate Oxidation Responses to Exercise in Professional Endurance Athletes and Less-Fit Individuals
- Why do our cell’s power plants have their own DNA?
- Introduction to cellular respiration
Music & Disclaimers:
- Crossing the Chasm by Kevin MacLeod Link: https://incompetech.filmmusic.io/song/3562-crossing-the-chasm License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
- Marty Gots A Plan by Kevin MacLeod Link: https://incompetech.filmmusic.io/song/4992-marty-gots-a-plan License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
Disclaimers apply and can be heard at the end of the episode.